When Randall Peters turned off the lights in his kitchen last week, he was surprised to see a brightly glowing pile of shrimp sitting on the counter.
Experts say the shrimp, which he purchased at a Seattle grocery store, were probably luminescent because of the presence of light-emitting bacteria. There are several species of luminescent bacteria that live in salt water.
Glowing seafood has been reported in the past. Usually the reports involve crabmeat, lobster, shrimp or herring. In some cases, all that was left were the glowing plastic foam trays or empty wrappers. One man reported his fingers glowed after he and his wife ate some crabmeat.
Glow-in-the-dark seafood may look weird, but government experts say it is not a health hazard and is probably safe to eat. Just in case, it is a good idea to make sure seafood is always properly cooked.