A Denver Scout put lessons learned into action when his younger sister choked on a carrot.
Jackson Baker, a 12-year old with Troop 36 in Littleton, Colo., was doing his homework when his sister, Jordyn, choked on a carrot and couldn’t breathe. Her face turned red, her coughing became intense, and Jackson took action. Having recently learned the Heimlich maneuver as part of his first aid merit badge, Jackson performed it and dislodged the carrot. It took a couple of tries, but he persevered when facing an emergency.
For his valor, Jackson said he will soon be presented an award by the Boy Scouts of America.