1. Surfing is one of the oldest sports. It originated in the year 400 in Polynesia.
2. Shortboard surfing lets a surfer move faster through the water.
3. Longboard surfing is more for gentle waves.
4. June 17 is International Surfing Day.
5. Surfing helps teach balance and coordination.
6. Donald Dettloff of Hawaii owns the most surfboards in the world. He has 647!
7. The first major surfing contest was in 1928 in Corona del Mar, California.
8. The best time of the year to surf is in the winter because the waves are bigger, stronger and more reliable.