A prison used to hold Union soldiers has been found near Lawton, Ga. Known as Camp Lawton, the Confederacy used it to replace the overcrowded Andersonville prison in 1864. For years, Camp Lawton’s exact location has remained a mystery.
Camp Lawton held about 10,000 prisoners during its six weeks of existence. Students at Georgia Southern began searching for it early this year. Rumors say a chest of important papers, gold, a burial trench and the remains of a horse belonging to General William Sherman have been found. Officials have described the discovery as “one of the biggest archaeological Civil War finds in decades.”